Marine VHF Communications

FCC Rules for Marine VHF and a handy Frequency Chart
When do you need a license? If your boat is over 20 meters (65 feet) long or you are "for hire" you need a license. If you are traveling outside the U.S. or it territorial waters you need a license. Inside the United States and her territorial waters on pleasure craft not for hire and less than 20 meters (65 feet) long you do not need a license to operated a VHF radio.

Everyone on any boat requires a license to operate single side-band radio (marine HF). If you want to operate your HF on amateur frequencies you need a HAM radio operator license.

Here is the official notice from the FCC website.

If you need a license, perhaps you are going offshore, you can apply through the same FCC website.

There are about 50 channels and each has it's own special use. Channel 16 is for hailing/safety/distress calls. That's easy enough, but what about the rest of them? I've never been able to memorize them so I made a handy chart to keep by my radio. You can print it out, laminate it and hang it up at your nav station.

Marine VHF
    Latest News
    Weather Report
    Photo Gallery
    Video Studio
    Evil Waves
    Classical Gas
    Chesapeake Bay
    Great Lakes
    Gulf Coast
    Mid Atlantic
    New England
    North Pacific
    North West
    South Atlantic
    South West
    Reviews etc.
    Yacht Racing
Custom Search

Hosted by The Port Defender VPN Network All material on are copyright(c)MWMadden - 1998 thru 2014